Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The delusion of Gossip Girl

Have you been sucked into this show yet? I avoided watching Gossip Girl for years..but have recently become addicted to this show. I must say, I am so glad this show wasn't around when I was a teen. I had a hard enough time comparing myself to Donna or Kelly on 90210. Can you imagine being 16 and thinking you are going to grow up and be like Serena Van Der Woodsen? Considering these characters are in university/working full time, they certainly don't seem to be busy. Don't get me wrong..I love this show and secretly dream of a rich life with Chuck Bass..but really...really? How can this type of show be good for teens or young adults? What are they going to do when they graduate and realize they will never be able to live in Manhattan, let alone the Upper East Side? I guess it doesn't hurt to dream...I am as guilty as every other viewer. Maybe this show should have a disclaimer? After all...not everyone is a Vanderbilt or heir to a hotel empire..sigh!

No comments:

Post a Comment